Monday, October 14, 2013

My Walk with Girdie **repost**

**This is a repost from a Japanese-English blog research project that I'm participating in.  It was originally written on October 8th. I had to be careful not to write too informally using English that can be easily understood, so I apologize in advance if the writing sounds awkward or stiff**

Hello, everyone! Today I would like to talk about dogs. At the end of my last post I included a picture of myself with my dog. Her name is Madison and she is my best friend! I love animals so much, and this semester I started volunteering at an animal shelter called Capital Area Humane Society (CAHS) in Lansing. Every Saturday and every other Tuesday, I go there and mostly walk dogs and play with them in their kennels. I also play with cats so I can get more used to them.
Girdie

 Today I got to walk a very special dog named Girdie. She is 6 years old and she is special to me for two reasons. The first reason is that she is a coon hound mix. My own dog Madison is a basset hound and hounds are my favorite kind of dog, so I was very happy to be able to spend time with a hound today.
The second reason why Girdie is special is her physical condition. In the pictures below it might look like she is pregnant, but she is really just overweight. Although I felt sorry for her when I first saw her, once I started interacting with her I realized that she is very energetic and loves to be outside and move around. We walked for a mile through a forest, passing swamps and a small lake, and she never got tired. I have no idea how she got as big as she is, but her size and weight do not  stop her from being a sweet and happy dog, and that is very inspiring to me.  I would adopt her if I could! But I do not have the money or the space to take care of another dog. I hope that Girdie will find a good home soon, but I look forward to spending more time with her until then.  
There are many animal shelters in America, and some animal rescue organizations have become quite popular. I wonder if animal rescue is as popular in Japan?

No comments:

Post a Comment