Monday, May 26, 2014

Peace and Quiet in Parc Monceau

Today was a slow day, but in a deliciously soothing way!

After class I'd planned to go to la Cité de la musique, which houses le Musée de la musique. I got all the way to Parc Villette on the northeastern edge of city were the museum is located... and found that it's closed on Mondays. Since this is the second time this has happened, you may be wondering why don't you check the website beforehand when you go to museums? The thing is, I did! But I didn't see anything about it being closed on Mondays. So I'll just have to go back Wednesday when my afternoon is free again.

I tried to walk around the area a bit, but I wasn't in a wandering mood because I was disappointed about the museum. And to be honest, today was one of those days where I was feeling sad for no reason. So I took the metro back to my neighborhood, spent an hour snacking and watching YouTube videos, and then went to Parc Monceau. Parc Monceau is a not-too-small, not-too-large park just a few bus stops away from where I live. I passed by it last week on the bus and had wanted to go back, and I figured today would be a good time. I could get started on some reading I've been avoiding, maybe write a song or two, and be alone in peace and quiet without holing myself up in my room.

I rode the bus there and stayed for two and a half hours, and I'm so glad I decided to go. It was exactly what I needed. Parc Monceau is just quiet enough, with tons of beautiful plants and flowers, a pond, walking paths, plenty of benches, and a number of interesting statues. And there are plenty of opportunities for people watching, which is oddly therapeutic.While there I read a couple of chapters of a book called Évidences invisibles (Raymonde Carroll), which is an analysis of cultural differences and similarities between French people and Americans. I have to read it and keep a journal about my observations as part of one of my assignments this summer. It sounds like complicated and boring stuff, but I'm surprised by how entertaining this book is. I can read it without much difficulty, and I'm already starting to reflect on certain situations I've encountered while here. Thankfully I haven't had any great misunderstandings or difficulties with people yet.

After walking around for a bit, for most of the time all I did in Parc Monceau was sit while reading and writing. Yet I left feeling so refreshed, I wasn't sad anymore and I wasn't even disappointed about not being able to go the the music museum today. Everything was just as it was, and I was fine with that.


Bread and Butter [Paris] photos

No comments:

Post a Comment